Banff (bămf, bănf) [key], town (1991 pop. 5,688), SW Alta., Canada, in the Rocky Mts., on the Bow River and the Trans-Canada Highway. A tourist center and winter resort established in the 1880s by the Canadian Pacific Railway, it is the headquarters of Banff National Park and gateway to Lake Louise. The Banff Center for Continuing Education is a noted fine-arts center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Banff from Infoplease:
- Banffshire - Banffshire Banffshire or Banff,former county, NE Scotland. Under the Local Government Act of 1973, ...
- Banff: meaning and definitions - Banff: Definition and Pronunciation
- Banff, former county, Scotland - Banff Banff, former county, Scotland: see Banffshire.
- Red Deer, river, Canada - Red Deer Red Deer, river, 385 mi (620 km) long, rising in the Rocky Mts. in Banff National Park, SW ...
- Kootenay National Park - Kootenay National Park Kootenay National Park, 543 sq mi (1,406 sq km), SE British Columbia, ...