Ballymena (bălēmēˈnə) [key], town (1991 pop. 28,166) and district, NE Northern Ireland, on the Braid River. Linen, woolen goods, synthetic fibers, carpets, and tobacco are produced in the town. According to tradition, St. Patrick worked as a herder at Slemish Mt., 5 mi (8.1 km) from Ballymena.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ballymena from Infoplease:
- James McHENRY - James McHENRY (1753-1816) McHENRY, James, a Delegate from Maryland; born in Ballymena, County ...
- Saint Patrick: Early Life and His Calling - Early Life and His Calling The facts of Patrick's life are largely obscured by legend. He ...
- Liam Neeson - Biography of Liam Neeson, The star of Schindler's List and Love, Actually
- Ian Richard Kyle Paisley - Biography of Ian Richard Kyle Paisley, Protestant preacher and Northern Ireland politician
- Liam Neeson - Liam Neeson (William Neeson) actor Born: 6/7/1952 Birthplace: Ballymena, Northern Ireland After two ...