Ayrshire or Ayr, former county, SW Scotland. Ayrshire became part of the Strathclyde region in 1975. In the local government reorganization of 1996, Strathclyde was dissolved and the council areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire were created in part from the former territory of Ayrshire.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ayrshire from Infoplease:
- Ayrshire: meaning and definitions - Ayrshire: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ayr: meaning and definitions - Ayr: Definition and Pronunciation
- dairy breed: meaning and definitions - dairy breed: Definition and Pronunciation
- Doon - Doon Doon , river, c.30 mi (48 km) long, South Ayrshire and East Ayrshire, SW Scotland, flowing NW ...
- Prestwick - Prestwick Prestwick, town (1991 pop. 13,355), South Ayrshire, SW Scotland, on the Firth of Clyde. ...