Avalon Peninsula, 3,579 sq mi (9,270 sq km), SE N.L., Canada, on Newfoundland. It is nearly divided at its center by Conception Bay and St. Mary's Bay. The peninsula is the most densely populated part of Newfoundland; St. John's is the chief city. A lighthouse and radio direction-finding station are at Cape Race, which is the easternmost point in North America.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Avalon Peninsula from Infoplease:
- Avalon Peninsula: meaning and definitions - Avalon Peninsula: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/avalon peninsula - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Bell Island - Bell Island Bell Island, island, SE N.L., Canada, in Conception Bay, off the Avalon Peninsula, ...
- Trinity Bay - Trinity Bay Trinity Bay, inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, 80 mi (129 km) long, SE Newfoundland, N.L., ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Auvergne au vol aux Aux Cayes auxesis auxetic auxiliary auxiliary language ...