Ashikaga (äˌshēkäˈgä) [key], city (1990 pop. 167,686), Tochigi prefecture, central Honshu, Japan. An old silk-weaving center, it is famous for its spinning and nylon textile industries. The city is also the ancestral home of the Ashikaga shoguns (1338–1597). It has an ancient school (probably founded 9th cent.), which is known for its vast library of Chinese classics. Ashikaga's 12th-century temple is treasured by the Japanese.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ashikaga from Infoplease:
- Ashikaga: meaning and definitions - Ashikaga: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ashikaga - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tochigi - Tochigi Tochigi , prefecture (1990 pop. 1,935,186), central Honshu, Japan. Utsunomiya (the ...
- Kamakura - Kamakura Kamakura , city (1990 pop. 174,307), Kanagawa prefecture, central Honshu, Japan, on Sagami ...
- shogun - shogun shogun , title of the feudal military administrator who from the 12th cent. to the 19th ...