Arnhem Land, 37,100 sq mi (96,089 sq km), N Northern Territory, Australia, on a wide peninsula W of the Gulf of Carpentaria. The great majority of the region belongs to the Arnhem Land Aboriginal Reserve, the largest aboriginal reservation in Australia. Kakadu National Park adjoins the reservation and draws a large number of tourists to its natural beauty and remarkable collection of aboriginal rock art. To the S lies the Beswick Aboriginal Reserve. Bauxite is mined in the area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Arnhem Land from Infoplease:
- Arnhem Land: meaning and definitions - Arnhem Land: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/arnhem land - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Groote Eylandt - Groote Eylandt Groote Eylandt [Du.,=large island], 950 sq mi (2,461 sq km), Northern Territory, N ...
- Ten Canoes - Starring Richard Birrinbirrin, Peter Djigirr, Johnny Buniyira, Frances Djulibing, David Gulpilil
- Aboriginal Australia: History, Culture, and Conflict - Aboriginal Australia History and culture of Australia's indigenous peoples by Ricco Villanueva ...