Aran Islands (ărˈən) [key], 18 sq mi (47 sq km), Co. Galway, W Republic of Ireland, in Galway Bay. The three islands are Inishmore (the largest), Inisheer, and Inishmaan. The islands are barren; farming and fishing prevail economically, and the knitting of woolen sweaters is an important cottage industry. Gaelic is the everyday language of most islanders. Many early Christian and prehistoric remains are there, and the islands have become a tourist attraction.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Aran Islands from Infoplease:
- Aran Islands: meaning and definitions - Aran Islands: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/aran islands - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Galway Bay - Galway Bay Galway Bay, inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, 30 mi (48 km) long, W Republic of Ireland, in ...
- Galway, county, Republic of Ireland - Galway Galway , county (1991 pop. 180,364), 2,293 sq mi (5,939 sq km), W Republic of Ireland. The ...
- Liam O'Flaherty - O'Flaherty, Liam O'Flaherty, Liam , 1897–1984, Irish novelist, b. Aran Islands, Co. ...