Arafura Sea (ärəfōˈrə) [key], shallow part of the Pacific Ocean, between the Timor and Coral seas, separating Australia from New Guinea. It contains several islands of Indonesia. The Torres Strait to the east is a treacherous passage. See Carpentaria, Gulf of.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Arafura Sea from Infoplease:
- Arafura Sea: meaning and definitions - Arafura Sea: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/arafura sea - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Bathurst Island, Australia - Bathurst Island Bathurst Island, c.1,000 sq mi (2,590 sq km), Northern Territory, N Australia, near ...
- Great Dividing Range - Great Dividing Range Great Dividing Range, crest line of the Eastern Highlands of Australia. For ...
- Gulf of Carpentaria - Carpentaria, Gulf of Carpentaria, Gulf of , arm of the Arafura Sea, 305 mi (491 km) wide and 370 mi ...