An Nasiriyah (än näsĭrĭˈyä) [key], city (1987 pop. 265,937), provincial capital, SE Iraq, on the Euphrates River. It is the center of a date-growing region. Founded in 1870, the city was captured by the British in 1915. Nearby are the ruins of Ur.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nasiriyah from Infoplease:
- Nasiriya - Nasiriya: Nasiriya: see An Nasiriyah, Iraq.
- Larsa - Larsa Larsa , ancient city of S Babylonia, in modern Iraq, 30 mi (48 km) NW of An Nasiriyah. It was ...
- Iraq Primer - Round-up of features on Iraq
- Abraham - Biography of Abraham, Patriarch of Judaism, Christianity and Islam
- Encyclopedia: Iraq Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Iraq Political Geography.