Amersfoort (äˈmərsfōrt) [key], city (1994 pop. 110,117), Utrecht prov., central Netherlands. It is a transportation and manufacturing center. Points of interest include a 14th-century water gate, the 15th-century Gate of Our Lady, and the old town, which has medieval houses. Johan van Oldenbarneveldt, the Dutch statesman, was born there in 1547.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Amersfoort from Infoplease:
- Amersfoort: meaning and definitions - Amersfoort: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/amersfoort - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Utrecht, province, Netherlands - Utrecht Utrecht , province (1994 pop. 1,056,000), c.500 sq mi (1,290 sq km), central Netherlands, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index ALU Al-Ubayyid aludel alula alum alumin- alumina alumina cement aluminate ...
- Piet Mondrian - Biography of Piet Mondrian, Dutch abstract artist with the colored rectangles