Ambala (əmbäˈlə) [key], city (1991 pop. 139,889), Haryana state, NW India. It is a district administrative headquarters, a military station, and a transportation center, with an airport and road and rail connections to Delhi. Ambala is an important cotton, sugar, and grain trading center, and its industrial production includes cotton, processed food, and flour. Local handicrafts of significance include bamboo furniture-making and cloth-weaving.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ambala from Infoplease:
- Ambala: meaning and definitions - Ambala: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ambala - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Karnal - Karnal Karnal , city (1991 pop. 176,131), Haryana state, N central India. The town's name is ...
- Haryana - Haryana Haryana , state (2001 provisional pop. 21,082,989), 17,120 sq mi (44,341 sq km), N central ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index ALU Al-Ubayyid aludel alula alum alumin- alumina alumina cement aluminate ...