Aldershot (ôlˈdərshôt) [key], town (1991 pop. 53,665), Hampshire, S central England. It is the site of the largest military training center (est. 1854) in Great Britain. The minister of defense appoints most of the town council. Aldershot is within the metropolitan area of London. Industries include engineering and the production of electrical goods.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Aldershot from Infoplease:
- Aldershot: meaning and definitions - Aldershot: Definition and Pronunciation
- Farnham - Farnham Farnham , town (1991 pop. 35,492), Surrey, SE England, on the Wey River. It is a market ...
- Martin Freeman - Biography of Martin Freeman, He played Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit movies
- McEwan, Ian - McEwan, Ian writer Birthplace: Aldershot, England Born: 5/21/48 Information Please® Database, ...
- Ian McEwan - McEwan, Ian McEwan, Ian (Ian Russell McEwan), 1948–, English novelist, b. Aldershot, grad. ...