Akashi (äˌkäˈshē) [key], city (1990 pop. 270,722), Hyogo prefecture, W Honshu, Japan, on the Harima Sea and the Akashi Channel. Overfishing and marine pollution have hurt what was formerly an important fishing port. Akashi now has a productive heavy steel industry, which dates back to the Korean War.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Akashi from Infoplease:
- Akashi: meaning and definitions - Akashi: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/akashi - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Hyogo - Hyogo Hyogo , prefecture (1990 pop. 5,405,090), 3,213 sq mi (8,322 sq km), SW Honshu, Japan. Kobe ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Aisha AISI AISI steel aisle Aisne ait aitch aitchbone Aitken Aitolía Aius ...
- Sumo Bruno - Synopsis, rating, and other information