Aarau (äˈrou) [key], town (1993 pop. 15,900), capital of Aargau canton, N Switzerland, at the foot of the Jura Mts. and on the Aare River. Manufactures include bells, mathematical instruments, electrical goods, shoes, and other products. Aarau was founded c.1250; it was the temporary capital (1798) of the Helvetic Republic.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Aarau from Infoplease:
- Aarau: meaning and definitions - Aarau: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aargau: meaning and definitions - Aargau: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aargau - Aargau Aargau , Fr. Argovie, canton (1993 pop. 512,000), 542 sq mi (1,404 sq km), N Switzerland. ...
- Aare - Aare Aare or Aar, longest river entirely in Switzerland, 183 mi (295 km) long, rising in the ...
- Albert Einstein: Life - Life Einstein lived as a boy in Munich and Milan, continued his studies at the cantonal school at ...