Wilson, city (1990 pop. 36,930), seat of Wilson co., E N.C., in a rich agricultural region; inc. 1849. It is a commercial and industrial center with a large tobacco market. There is tobacco and food processing and the manufacture of metal, paper, plastic, glass, fiberglass, and electrical products; chemicals; and apparel. Barton College is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Wilson from Infoplease:
- Wovoka: meaning and definitions - Wovoka: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mount Wilson - Wilson, Mount Wilson, Mount, peak, 5,710 ft (1,740 m) high, S Calif., in the San Gabriel Mts., NE ...
- Wilson: meaning and definitions - Wilson: Definition and Pronunciation
- Benjamin Wilson - Wilson, Benjamin Wilson, Benjamin, 1721–88, English portrait painter and electrician who ...
- Lanford Wilson - Wilson, Lanford Wilson, Lanford, 1937–, American playwright, b. Lebanon, Mo. An important ...