Wilson, Mount, peak, 5,710 ft (1,740 m) high, S Calif., in the San Gabriel Mts., NE of Pasadena. It is the site of Mt. Wilson Observatory (est. 1904), one of the Hale Observatories. A 100-in. (254-cm) reflecting telescope there, no longer in use, was once the world's largest.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mount Wilson from Infoplease:
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/mount wilson observatory - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Alhambra, city, United States - Alhambra Alhambra , city (1990 pop. 82,106), Los Angeles co., S Calif., a suburb E of Los Angeles; ...
- Palomar Mountain - Palomar Mountain Palomar Mountain , peak, 6,126 ft (1,867 m) high, S Calif., NE of San Diego, in ...
- Edwin Hubble - Biography of Edwin Hubble, The astronomer the Hubble space telescope is named after
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index moo mooch mood mood-altering mood music moody moo goo gai pan Moog synthesizer moo ...