Westport, residential town (1990 pop. 24,407), Fairfield co., SW Conn., on Long Island Sound at the mouth of the Saugatuck River; settled 1645–50, inc. 1835. It serves as a popular residence for New York City commuters. Westport has a summer theater. William Tryon landed at Compo Beach before his raid on Danbury in 1777. A number of 18th-century houses remain.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Westport from Infoplease:
- Westport: meaning and definitions - Westport: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/westport - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Croagh Patrick - Croagh Patrick Croagh Patrick , mountain, 2,510 ft (765 m) high, Co. Mayo, W Republic of Ireland, ...
- John Tyler CUTTING - John Tyler CUTTING (1844-1911) CUTTING, John Tyler, a Representative from California; born in ...
- Samuel Burr SHERWOOD - Samuel Burr SHERWOOD (1767-1833) SHERWOOD, Samuel Burr, a Representative from Connecticut; born in ...