West Memphis (mĕmˈfĭs) [key], city (1990 pop. 28,259), Crittenden co., NE Ark., next to the Mississippi River (there bridged to Memphis, Tenn.); founded c.1910 as Bragg's Spur, inc. as a city under its present name 1927. It is a timber and cotton center with diverse industries, including the manufacture of machinery, chemicals, petroleum products, paper, and fabricated metal goods. A greyhound-racing park is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on West Memphis from Infoplease:
- West Memphis: meaning and definitions - West Memphis: Definition and Pronunciation
- West of Memphis - Starring Damien Wayne Echols, Jason Baldwin, Jessie Miskelly, Pam Hobbs, Lorris Davis
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/west memphis - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- West Memphis, Arkansas, Social Statistics - Arkansas Atlas Social Statistics West Memphis, Arkansas QuickFacts · Demographic · ...
- West Memphis, Arkansas, Housing Statistics - Arkansas Atlas Housing Statistics West Memphis, Arkansas QuickFacts · Demographic · ...