Waikiki (wĪkēkēˈ) [key], famous beach and resort center SE of Honolulu on SE Oahu island, Hawaii. Tourism is the economic mainstay; Waikiki is known the world over for its beach and recreational facilities, especially surfing. Luxury hotels are abundant. Waikiki has a zoo, an aquarium, exotic flora, and excellent shopping. Fort DeRussy is located there. Diamond Head crater is nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Waikiki from Infoplease:
- Waikiki: meaning and definitions - Waikiki: Definition and Pronunciation
- Diamond Head - Diamond Head Diamond Head, peak, 761 ft (232 m) high, along the rim of an extinct volcano, SE Oahu ...
- Jonah Kuhio KALANIANAOLE - Jonah Kuhio KALANIANAOLE (1871-1922) KALANIANAOLE, Jonah Kuhio, a Delegate from the Territory of ...
- The Descendants - Starring George Clooney, Judy Greer, Beau Bridges, Matthew Lillard, Robert Forster
- Oahu - Oahu Oahu , island (1990 pop. 836,231), 593 sq mi (1,536 sq km), third largest and chief island of ...