Virginia City, uninc. village (1990 pop. 920), seat of Storey co., W Nev.; settled 1859. Now largely a tourist center, it was the site of the Comstock Lode and a major hub for the mining of silver and gold. It had some 11,000 inhabitants in 1880.
See R. M. James, Virginia City: Secrets of a Western Past (2012).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Virginia City from Infoplease:
- Virginia City: meaning and definitions - Virginia City: Definition and Pronunciation
- Virginia, city, United States - Virginia Virginia, city (1990 pop. 9,410), St. Louis co., NE Minn., on the Mesabi range; inc. 1892. ...
- Comstock Lode: meaning and definitions - Comstock Lode: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bannack - Bannack Bannack , SW Mont. Founded in 1862 when gold was discovered along Grasshopper Creek, ...
- William WOODBURN - William WOODBURN (1838-1915) WOODBURN, William, a Representative from Nevada; born in County ...