Verde (vûrdˈē, vĕrdˈē) [key], river, c.190 mi (310 km) long, rising in central Ariz. and flowing S to the Salt River. The valley supported early Native American civilizations and is dotted with ruins, such as those at Tuzigoot National Monument (see National Parks and Monuments, table). Bartlett and Horseshoe dams are on the Verde River.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Verde from Infoplease:
- Cape Verde - Verde, Cape Verde, Cape [Port.,=green], Fr. Cap Vert, peninsula, extending into the Atlantic Ocean, ...
- green earth: meaning and definitions - green earth: Definition and Pronunciation
- Palos Verdes Estates - Palos Verdes Estates Palos Verdes Estates , city (1990 pop. 13,512), Los Angeles co., S Calif.; ...
- verd antique: meaning and definitions - verd antique: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mesa Verde National Park - Mesa Verde National Park Mesa Verde National Park , 52,122 acres (21,109 hectares), SW Colorado; ...