Superior, city (1990 pop. 27,134), seat of Douglas co., NW Wis., on Superior Bay of Lake Superior, at the mouths of the St. Louis and the Nemadji rivers; inc. 1883. It is a port of entry with many rail lines. The natural harbor, shared with Duluth, Minn., has some of the nation's largest coal and ore docks; copper, limestone, and grain are also shipped. Superior has shipyards, flour milling, an oil refinery, and wood and machinery manufacture. Tourists are attracted to the surrounding scenic features. The area was visited by the French explorers Radisson (1661) and Duluth (1679). The city grew after iron ore was discovered (1880s) in the Gogebic range. The Univ. of Wisconsin at Superior is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography