Silicon Valley, an industrial region, approximately 20 mi (32 km) long, in the Santa Clara Valley between Palo Alto and San Jose, mainly in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties, W central Calif., where many computer manufacturing and design companies are located. Computer-software and other high-technology industries are also there. The name derives from high-purity silicon used in making the semiconductors used in computers.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Silicon Valley from Infoplease:
- Silicon Valley: meaning and definitions - Silicon Valley: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/silicon valley - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- William Hewlett - William Hewlett electronics entrepreneur Born: 5/20/1913 Birthplace: Ann Arbor, Mich. electronics ...
- Santa Clara, city, United States - Santa Clara Santa Clara , city (1990 pop. 93,613), Santa Clara co., W Calif.; inc. 1852. Part of ...
- Sunnyvale - Sunnyvale Sunnyvale, city (1990 pop. 117,229), Santa Clara co., W Calif., near San Francisco; ...