Seymour. 1 Town (1990 pop. 14,288), New Haven co., SW Conn., on the Naugatuck River; settled c.1678, inc. 1850. The town's manufacturing industries decline since the mid-1900s, but cable and wire, electronic components and hardware, car racks, and concrete are produced. 2 City (1990 pop. 15,576), Jackson co., SE Ind.; inc. 1864. A shipping center for a farm area, it is also a manufacturing city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Seymour from Infoplease:
- Seymour: meaning and definitions - Seymour: Definition and Pronunciation
- Horatio Seymour - Seymour, Horatio Seymour, Horatio , 1810–86, American politician, b. Pompey Hill, N.Y. He ...
- Hertford, William Seymour, 1st marquess and 2d earl of - Hertford, William Seymour, 1st marquess and 2d earl of Hertford, William Seymour, 1st marquess and ...
- Somerset, Edward Seymour, duke of - Somerset, Edward Seymour, duke of Somerset, Edward Seymour, duke of, 1506?–1552, protector of ...
- Jane Seymour - Biography of Jane Seymour, The 3rd wife of King Henry VIII