Scarsdale, village (1990 pop. 16,987), Westchester co., SE N.Y., a residential suburb of New York City; settled c.1701, inc. 1915. Scarsdale is often considered typical of upper-class suburban communities.
See C. O'Connor, A Sort of Utopia: Scarsdale, 1881–1981 (1983).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Scarsdale from Infoplease:
- Scarsdale: meaning and definitions - Scarsdale: Definition and Pronunciation
- Caleb TOMPKINS - Caleb TOMPKINS (1759-1846) TOMPKINS, Caleb, (brother of Daniel D. Tompkins), a Representative from ...
- Pepi Deutsch, - Pepi Deutsch, Age: 101 Holocaust survivor who lost 37 of her relatives, including her husband and ...
- Daniel D. Tompkins - Tompkins, Daniel D. Tompkins, Daniel D., 1774–1825, American political figure, Vice President ...
- Caleb Heathcote - Heathcote, Caleb Heathcote, Caleb , 1666–1721, merchant and public official in colonial New ...