San Leandro (săn lēănˈdrō) [key], city (1990 pop. 68,223), Alameda co., W Calif., on San Francisco Bay; inc. 1872. Metal, wood, and paper products; chemicals; leather goods; foods and beverages; medical equipment; lighting fixtures; and steel are manufactured. There are also notable orchid, gardenia, and rose greenhouses. Settled by José Joaquin Estudillo in 1837, it was county seat from 1854 to 1871. Nearby is Oakland International Airport.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography