| Share
 

San Angelo

San Angelo (săn ănˈjəlō) [key], city (1990 pop. 84,474), seat of Tom Green co., W Tex., where two forks join to form the Concho River; laid out 1869, inc. 1903. It is an important wool and mohair market and a trade and shipping point for a wide area of sheep, goat, and cattle ranches; irrigated farms; and oil and natural gas fields. Meat and dairy products; shoes; leather goods; surgical sutures; and stone, fiberglass, and metal items are also produced. Founded beside a border military post, Fort Concho (1866; restored as a museum), San Angelo was a rough frontier town of cattle trails and overland traffic in the 1870s; it grew after the coming of the railroad in 1888. Angelo State Univ. is there. Goodfellow Air Force Base adjoins the city, and Lake Nasworthy and O. C. Fisher Lake reservoirs are nearby.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on San Angelo from Infoplease:

See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography


Premium Partner Content
HighBeam Research
Documents Images and Maps Reference
(from Newspapers, Magazines, Journals, Newswires, Transcripts and Books)

Research our extensive archive of more than 80 million articles from 6,500 publications.

Additional search results provided by HighBeam Research, LLC. © Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring