| Share
 

Saint Marys City

Saint Marys City, village (1990 pop. 3,200), St. Marys co., S Md., on the St. Marys River; est. 1634 as Maryland's first town. English colonists purchased a Native American village, renamed it St. Marys, and built Fort St. George. The first state assembly met there (1635). It remained the provincial capital until replaced (1694) by Annapolis.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on Saint Marys City from Infoplease:

See more Encyclopedia articles on: Miscellaneous U.S. Geography


Premium Partner Content
HighBeam Research
Documents Images and Maps Reference
(from Newspapers, Magazines, Journals, Newswires, Transcripts and Books)

Research our extensive archive of more than 80 million articles from 6,500 publications.

Additional search results provided by HighBeam Research, LLC. © Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring