Presque Isle (prĕsk Īl) [key] [Fr., = peninsula], city (1990 pop. 10,550), Aroostook co., NE Maine, inc. 1859. It is the trade, tourist, and shipping center of the Aroostook valley. During World War II an important air base there served as a ferry point for planes to Great Britain. The city is the seat of the Univ. of Maine at Presque Isle.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Presque Isle from Infoplease:
- Presque Isle: meaning and definitions - Presque Isle: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/presque isle - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- - Can't read file michigan/presque-isle-county/default.html
- Erie, city, United States - Erie Erie, city (1990 pop. 108,718), seat of Erie co., NW Pa., on Lake Erie; inc. as a city 1851. ...
- University of Maine - Maine, University of Maine, University of, main campus at Orono; coeducational; land-grant and ...