Palm Springs, city (1990 pop. 40,181), Riverside co., S Calif.; founded 1876, inc. 1938. It is a verdant desert oasis and a resort with classic mid-20th cent. architecture, many golf courses, and the Palm Springs Desert Museum. There is an international airport. It was known to the Spanish as early as 1774 as Agua Caliente because of its hot springs. By 1872 it was a regular stop on the stagecoach run between Prescott, Ariz., and Los Angeles. Nearby are the Agua Caliente Indian Reservation; Mt. San Jacinto, with a cable run almost to the top; and Palm Canyon, containing forests of Washingtonia palms estimated to be over 1,000 years old. Also in the area are a state park and the Joshua Tree National ParK.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography