Okmulgee (ōkˌmŭlˈgē) [key], city (1990 pop. 13,441), seat of Okmulgee co., E central Okla., in an oil and farm area; inc. 1900. An agricultural processing center, it has oil and gas wells, a glass industry, and an oil refinery. It was founded on the site of the Creek capital (1868–1907) and boomed with the discovery of oil in 1907. An old Creek council house (1878) is on the town square.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Okmulgee from Infoplease:
- Okmulgee: meaning and definitions - Okmulgee: Definition and Pronunciation
- - Can't read file oklahoma/okmulgee-county/default.html
- Edward Hall MOORE - Edward Hall MOORE (1871-1950) Senate Years of Service: 1943-1949 Party: Republican MOORE, Edward ...
- David Ross OBEY - David Ross OBEY (1938-Â ) OBEY, David Ross, a Representative from Wisconsin; born in ...
- William Bliss PINE - William Bliss PINE (1877-1942) Senate Years of Service: 1925-1931 Party: Republican PINE, William ...