Ogdensburg, city (1990 pop. 13,521), St. Lawrence co., N N.Y., on the St. Lawrence River at the mouth of the Oswegatchie, in a resort area, opposite Prescott, Ont. (with which it is connected by an international bridge); settled by French missionaries and trappers 1749, inc. as a city 1868. A variety of light industrial products are made there; two state prisons are important to the local economy. In the city is a museum with works of Frederic Remington, who lived in Ogdensburg.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ogdensburg from Infoplease:
- Ogdensburg: meaning and definitions - Ogdensburg: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ogdensburg - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Amaziah Bailey JAMES - Amaziah Bailey JAMES (1812-1883) JAMES, Amaziah Bailey, a Representative from New York; born in ...
- Prescott, town, Canada - Prescott Prescott , town (1991 pop. 4,512), SE Ont., Canada, on the St. Lawrence River, opposite ...
- George Roland MALBY - George Roland MALBY (1857-1912) MALBY, George Roland, a Representative from New York; born in ...