Morgan City, city (1990 pop. 14,531), St. Mary parish, S La., a fishing port on the Atchafalaya River (connected to the Intracoastal Waterway); inc. 1860 as Brasher, renamed 1876. The city is headquarters for offshore petroleum drilling and has oil and gas wells. Also in Morgan City are shipyards, a large shrimp fleet, an oyster industry, and alligator farms. Barges, propeller shafts, crewboats, and yachts are manufactured. The Louisiana Shrimp and Petroleum Festival is held in the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Morgan City from Infoplease:
- Morgan City: meaning and definitions - Morgan City: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/morgan city - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Bayou Teche - Teche, Bayou Teche, Bayou , 125 mi (201 km) long, S La., formed by tributary bayous and flowing SE ...
- Chester Bidwell DARRALL - Chester Bidwell DARRALL (1842-1908) DARRALL, Chester Bidwell, a Representative from Louisiana; born ...
- Jared Young SANDERS - Jared Young SANDERS (1869-1944) SANDERS, Jared Young, (father of Jared Young Sanders, Jr.), a ...