Merritt Island, c.40 mi (60 km) long and c.6 mi (10 km) wide, E Fla., separated from the mainland by Indian River (a lagoon) and from the Canaveral peninsula on the east by Banana River (a lagoon). It produces citrus fruits and is noted for its birds and other wildlife. The Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge and the John F. Kennedy Space Center, a division of the National Aeronautic and Space Administration (NASA), are there. Tourism is a major island industry.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Merritt Island from Infoplease:
- Merritt Island: meaning and definitions - Merritt Island: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/merritt island - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Cocoa, city, United States - Cocoa Cocoa, city (1990 pop. 17,722), Brevard co., E Fla., on the Indian River (a lagoon), a ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index mem member membered Member of the Wedding, The membership membrane membrane bone ...
- Cape Canaveral - Cape Canaveral Cape Canaveral , low, sandy promontory extending E into the Atlantic Ocean from a ...