McKeesport (məkēzˈpôrt) [key], city (1990 pop. 26,016), Allegheny co., SW Pa., in hilly terrain at the confluence of the Monongahela and Youghiogheny rivers; settled 1755, inc. as a city 1890. An industrial city in the Pittsburgh vicinity, McKeesport declined following the collapse of the U.S. steel industry in the 1980s. Manufacturing now includes electrical equipment, solvents, metal fabrication, coal tar products, and meat processing. Pennsylvania State Univ. has a campus there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on McKeesport from Infoplease:
- McKeesport: meaning and definitions - McKeesport: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/mckeesport - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Frank BUCHANAN - Frank BUCHANAN (1902-1951) BUCHANAN, Frank, (husband of Vera Daerr Buchanan), a Representative from ...
- Frank BUCHANAN - BUCHANAN, Frank (1902—1951) BUCHANAN, Frank, (husband of Vera Daerr Buchanan), a ...
- Duquesne - Duquesne Duquesne , city (1990 pop. 8,525), Allegheny co., SW Pa., on the Monongahela River, ...