McAlester (məkălˈĭstər) [key], city (1990 pop. 16,370), seat of Pittsburg co., SE Okla.; inc. 1899. A former coal-mining and farming community, McAlester has become a regional distribution center with a busy stockyard. Clothing, motor vehicles, chemicals, and animal feeds are manufactured and there is food processing. A munitions plant is nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on McAlester from Infoplease:
- McAlester: meaning and definitions - McAlester: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/mcalester - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Carl Bert ALBERT - Carl Bert ALBERT (1908-2000) ALBERT, Carl Bert, (cousin of Charles Wesley Vursell), a ...
- Carl Bert Albert - Albert, Carl Bert Albert, Carl Bert, 1908–2000, U.S. Congressman (1947–76), b. ...
- Deep Blue Sea (1999) - Starring Samuel L. Jackson, Deborah Unger, Jacqueline McKenzie, Michael Rapaport, Saffron Burrows