Mayfield, city (1990 pop. 9,935), seat of Graves co., SW Ky., in an area of farms and clay deposits; founded 1823. It is an agricultural trade center with a tobacco market. In a plot at the local cemetery are the unusual Wooldridge monuments—stone figures of an eccentric aristocrat (buried there in 1899), his family, friends, and animal pets.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mayfield from Infoplease:
- Curtis Mayfield - Curtis Mayfield Age: 57 influential singer-songwriter known for his funky, political, and socially ...
- Curtis Mayfield - Curtis Mayfield singer-songwriter Born: 6/3/1942 Birthplace: Chicago influential singer-songwriter ...
- Mayfield: meaning and definitions - Mayfield: Definition and Pronunciation
- Curtis Mayfield - Biography of Curtis Mayfield, The funky and soulful composer for the film Superfly
- Earle Bradford MAYFIELD - Earle Bradford MAYFIELD (1881-1964) Senate Years of Service: 1923-1929 Party: Democrat MAYFIELD, ...