Mauna Loa (mouˈnə lōˈə) [key], mountain, 13,680 ft (4,170 m) high, in the south central part of the island of Hawaii, in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Its many craters include Kilauea and Mokuaweoweo, two of the world's largest active craters. Mauna Loa has erupted three times (1942, 1949, 1975) since its period of greatest activity in 1881. Its lava flows have reached the sea.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mauna Loa from Infoplease:
- mauna loa: meaning and definitions - mauna loa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hawaii - Information on Hawaii — map of Hawaii, economy, government, culture, flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/mauna loa - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: meaning and definitions - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kilauea: meaning and definitions - Kilauea: Definition and Pronunciation