Massillon (măsˈĭlŏn) [key], city (1990 pop. 31,007), Stark co., NE Ohio, on the Tuscarawas River; inc. 1853. A wheat-shipping center on the Ohio & Erie Canal after 1828, it became an industrial city producing steel, steel products, and machinery; among its manufactures now are plastics, automotive products, packaging materials, and processed foods. Jacob S. Coxey, the social reformer, lived in Massillon and was its mayor in the early 1930s. A state park is nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Massillon from Infoplease:
- Jean Baptiste Massillon - Massillon, Jean Baptiste Massillon, Jean Baptiste , 1663–1742, French clergyman, bishop of ...
- Massillon: meaning and definitions - Massillon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/massillon - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Laurence Massillon KEITT - Laurence Massillon KEITT (1824-1864) KEITT, Laurence Massillon, a Representative from South ...
- Massillon, Ohio, Economic Statistics - Ohio Atlas Economic Statistics Massillon, Ohio QuickFacts · Demographic · Economic ...