Marquette, city (1990 pop. 21,977), seat of Marquette co., N Mich., Upper Peninsula, on Lake Superior; settled 1849, inc. as a city 1871. It is a shipping center for a lumber, farm, and resort region. Chemicals, wood products, and mining machinery are manufactured. Marquette is the seat of Northern Michigan Univ. A maritime museum and a state prison are also there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Marquette from Infoplease:
- Marquette: meaning and definitions - Marquette: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jacques Marquette - Marquette, Jacques Marquette, Jacques , 1637–75, French missionary and explorer in North ...
- June 1 Birthdays: Jacques Marquette - June 1 birthdays: Jacques Marquette , William Sloane Coffin, Jr. , Brigham Young, Francis Edgar Stanley, Marilyn Monroe, Morgan Freeman
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/marquette - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Turner Mastin MARQUETTE - Turner Mastin MARQUETTE (1831-1894) MARQUETTE, Turner Mastin, a Representative from Nebraska; born ...