Ledyard (lĕdˈyərd) [key], town (1990 pop. 14,913), New London co., SE Conn., on the Thames River; settled c.1653, inc. 1836. It is a farm center. The site of Fort Decatur is marked there. A gambling casino and hotel complex, opened in 1992 on the nearby Mashantucket Pequot reservation, has greatly enhanced the regional economy, including that of Ledyard. A comprehensive tribal museum is also there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ledyard from Infoplease:
- William Ledyard - Ledyard, William Ledyard, William , 1738–81, American Revolutionary officer, b. Groton, Conn. ...
- Ledyard: meaning and definitions - Ledyard: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Ledyard - Ledyard, John Ledyard, John , 1751–89, American adventurer, b. Groton, Conn. He studied at ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ledyard - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- William Ledyard STARK - William Ledyard STARK (1853-1922) STARK, William Ledyard, a Representative from Nebraska; born in ...