Lake City, town (1990 pop. 10,005), seat of Columbia co., N Fla.; inc. 1921. It was founded in the 1830s as a military post. Lake City is located in a farm and cattle area and produces tobacco, lumber products, and naval stores. The city also has airplane repair centers and is the headquarters of Ocala National Forest. Area tourism adds to the economy.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Lake City from Infoplease:
- Salt Lake City: meaning and definitions - Salt Lake City: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lake City - Starring Sissy Spacek, Troy Garity, Rebecca Romijn, Dave Matthews, Keith Carradine
- Olympic Scandal - Five-Ring Circus Bribery scandal tarnishes Olympic gold by Gerry Brown President Juan Antonio ...
- Salt Lake City - Salt Lake City Salt Lake City, city (1990 pop. 159,936), alt. c.4,330 ft (1,320 m), state capital ...
- Olympic Reforms - Olympic Reforms The IOC makes revisions in response to bribery scandal by John Gettings Fireworks ...