Kennebunk (kĕnəbŭngkˈ) [key], town (1990 pop. 8,004), York co., S Maine, adjacent to Kennebunkport; inc. 1820. The first settlement (c.1650) grew as a trading and, later, a shipbuilding and shipping center with light manufacturing. The Wedding Cake House at Kennebunk is known for its scroll-saw architecture.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kennebunk from Infoplease:
- Kennebunk: meaning and definitions - Kennebunk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/kennebunk - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Joseph DANE - Joseph DANE (1778-1858) DANE, Joseph, a Representative from Maine; born in Beverly, Essex County, ...
- Kenneth Lewis Roberts - Roberts, Kenneth Lewis Roberts, Kenneth Lewis, 1885–1957, American author, b. Kennebunk, ...
- Hugh McCulloch - McCulloch, Hugh McCulloch, Hugh , 1808–95, American financier and public official, b. ...