Greenbelt, city (1990 pop. 21,096), Prince Georges co., W central Md., a residential suburb of Washington, D.C.; chartered 1937. Greenbelt was planned and built by the federal government as an experimental model community for families of modest income. The huge National Agricultural Research Center borders the city on two sides, and the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center is nearby. The National Park Service maintains Greenbelt Park in the city (see National Parks and Monuments, table).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Greenbelt from Infoplease:
- greenbelt: meaning and definitions - greenbelt: Definition and Pronunciation
- Greendale - Greendale Greendale, village (1990 pop. 15,128), Milwaukee co., SE Wis., a suburb of Milwaukee; ...
- Other Parks - Other Parks Name and location Total acreage Catoctin Mountain (Md.) 5,809.87 Constitution Gardens ...
- Maryland - Information on Maryland — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- garden city, in city planning - garden city garden city, an ideal, self-contained community of predetermined area and population ...