Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge, across the Golden Gate from San Francisco to Marin Co., W Calif.; built 1933–37. Its overall length is 9,266 ft (2,824 m); its main span across the strait, 4,200 ft (1,280 m), is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world. Joseph B. Strauss was the chief engineer.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Golden Gate Bridge from Infoplease:
- The Golden Gate Bridge - Golden Gate Bridge Opens May 27, 1937 by Marcus McGraw Source: Wide World Photos Related Links ...
- Golden Gate Bridge: meaning and definitions - Golden Gate Bridge: Definition and Pronunciation
- California - Information on California — map of California, economy, government, culture, flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- San Francisco, Calif. - Information on San Francisco, Calif. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Notable Modern Bridges - Notable Modern Bridges Here is information about modern bridges around the world, with their length ...