Gloucester City, city (1990 pop. 12,649), Camden co., SW N.J., on the Delaware River, a suburb adjoining Camden and opposite Philadelphia; site of Fort Nassau (built 1623 by the Dutch); settled c.1682 by Irish Quakers, inc. 1868. The city has oil refining, light industry, and glass manufacturing.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gloucester City from Infoplease:
- Gloucester City: meaning and definitions - Gloucester City: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gloucester, city, England - Gloucester Gloucester , city (1991 pop. 106,526) and district, Gloucestershire, W central England, ...
- Gloucester, city, United States - Gloucester Gloucester, city (1990 pop. 28,716), Essex co., NE Mass., on Cape Ann; settled 1623, ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/gloucester city - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Fort Nassau - Fort Nassau. Fort Nassau. 1. Built (1614) on Castle Island, in the Hudson River, S of Albany, N.Y. ...