Fort Dodge, city (1990 pop. 25,894), seat of Webster co., central Iowa, on the Des Moines River; settled c.1846; inc. 1869. Fort Clarke was built on the site in 1850 and renamed Fort Dodge the following year. In a mining and agricultural area, Fort Dodge is a rail and distribution center. Industries in the city pack meat and make farm equipment and fertilizers. Gypsum mills are in Fort Dodge, and the outlying region has extensive gypsum beds. The city has the Fort Dodge Historical Museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Fort Dodge from Infoplease:
- Fort Dodge: meaning and definitions - Fort Dodge: Definition and Pronunciation
- Iowa - Information on Iowa — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Fort Dodge, Iowa, Social Statistics - Iowa Atlas Social Statistics Fort Dodge, Iowa QuickFacts · Demographic · Economic ...
- Fort Dodge, Iowa, Economic Statistics - Iowa Atlas Economic Statistics Fort Dodge, Iowa QuickFacts · Demographic · Economic ...
- Fort Dodge, Iowa, Housing Statistics - Iowa Atlas Housing Statistics Fort Dodge, Iowa QuickFacts · Demographic · Economic ...