| Share
 

Fort Dix

Fort Dix, U.S. army training center, 32,000 acres (12,950 hectares), central N.J., SE of Trenton; est. 1917 as Camp Dix and named for U.S. statesman John A. Dix. In 1939 it was made a permanent garrison and renamed Fort Dix. During World War II, Fort Dix was the largest army training center in the country. It is now used mainly to train Army National Guard and Army reserve units. The largest federal penitentiary in the country and a state prison are also housed on the grounds. McGuire Air Force Base, adjacent to the fort, is a terminal for domestic and European military flights.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on Fort Dix from Infoplease:

See more Encyclopedia articles on: Miscellaneous U.S. Geography

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring