Ennis, city (1990 pop. 13,883), Ellis co., N Tex.; inc. 1872. It is a trading, financial, rail, and processing center in a fertile blackland area that produces cattle, cotton, and grain. Ennis also has light manufacturing. The city, which was settled by Czechs, sponsors a national polka festival each May. Nearby Lake Bardwell offers recreational activities.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ennis from Infoplease:
- Ennis: meaning and definitions - Ennis: Definition and Pronunciation
- Clare: meaning and definitions - Clare: Definition and Pronunciation
- Clare - Clare Clare, county (1991 pop. 90,918), 1,231 sq mi (3,188 sq km), W Republic of Ireland, between ...
- 1997 People in the News - 1997 People in the News Marv Albert, Madeleine Albright, Marshall Applewhite, Vernon Baker, Ennis ...
- Charles Henderson YOAKUM - Charles Henderson YOAKUM (1849-1909) YOAKUM, Charles Henderson, a Representative from Texas; born ...