| Share
 

Ellicott City

Ellicott City, village (1990 pop. 41,396), seat of Howard co., in Baltimore and Howard cos., central Md., on the Patapsco River; settled 1774 as Ellicott Mills, inc. and renamed 1867, reverted to uninc. status 1935. The community grew up around the Ellicott flour mills, and became a trade and manufacturing center in an agricultural area; it is now a retail antiques center. The exterior of the landmark stone Baltimore & Ohio station has changed little since the first horse-cars were hauled here from Baltimore on May 24, 1830; the station is now a museum. Doughoregan Manor (c.1735–1745) was the home of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence. Other notable sights include the Log Cabin (c.1780) and Angelo Cottage (c.1831). Patapsco State Park is nearby.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on Ellicott City from Infoplease:

See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography


Premium Partner Content
HighBeam Research
Documents Images and Maps Reference
(from Newspapers, Magazines, Journals, Newswires, Transcripts and Books)

Research our extensive archive of more than 80 million articles from 6,500 publications.

Additional search results provided by HighBeam Research, LLC. © Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring